Thursday, June 3, 2010

Sobriety

I am not going to write a blog post about how prohibition will fix all of our problems. If anything, I think that prohibition will create much bigger problems than we are currently facing. I am not a prohibitionist. The study of history has led me far from the prohibitionist stance.

I find sobriety to be a precious thing. When we are sober, we have control over our mind. When we have control over our mind, we are able to submit the control we have to an other. When we pray, we are essentially submitting control to a greater being than ourselves.

If we have no control, we can give no control.
If we can give no control, we can't submit to the will of an other. If we can't submit to the will of an other, we are selfishly living out our own will instead of that of the Father.

I am not saying that alcohol or drugs are wrong. I am not saying that being drunk or high is wrong. I am simply saying that when we are drunk or high, it is harder to effectively pray. When we are drunk or high, our thoughts and actions are not in our own control. When we are controlled by something else, we are not the ones who decide where the power goes.

Maybe we like to be intoxicated because we like to be controlled by an outside source.

What if we could channel this desire to be controlled in a better way?

Please be careful about what controls you. Money, drugs, girls, guys, alcohol, fame, credit, looks, and authority are all bummers when they are made more important than we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment