Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Basketball wasn't Free.

Earlier today I was walking through the garage at my parents house. It is filled with all kinds of things that none of us need. I stood in the corner and scanned the abyss in search of a weed eater. I didn't find it, but I did find an old beat up basketball. It was white and orange and said "The University of Texas" on it. My mind immediately flashed back to seventh grade when I went to a UT basketball camp with my friend. He had sweat bands and I didn't, so I just modified some tube socks to make myself equal. In hind sight, I must have looked like an idiot. Anyway, I saw this basketball and immediately remembered that I had gotten it for free when I completed the week of camp. When I got the ball, I was extremely excited and used it until it was smooth like a watermelon. It was the ball that I used the most and it was the one ball that made me better at what I loved to do. I had a great court ball that never touched the street, but I didn't care about its perfection anymore. The white and orange one was special and It was FREE!!!

Now that I am older I know that my parents paid for the ball when they paid for the camp. The ball isn't as cool now. It was the type of ball that no one would ever buy, but in the event that it was free, it would be cool. (Kind of like AOL CDs.) The thing is, I spent lots of time with that ball. It was my favorite even though it wasn't my best.

God bought me this life and it's about time I stop acting like it was free. It isn't something that I get at the end of camp because my father paid enough money. It is something that my father offered and that I accepted. I have access to it NOW. It is a present blessing and a future reality.

My life is far from perfect. It isn't thick with leather and it hasn't only been used on a shiny court. It is beat up and smooth and shaped like a watermelon because cars have run over it. But dad gummit, this life was bought for me and I want to start treating it this way.

Let's stop thinking that life was free. Life has been invented, stolen, bought back and given to us.

Do us all a favor and USE YOURS.

3 comments:

  1. Not free....and not a life that "nobody else would buy, but in the event that it was free, it would be cool". Then again.....maybe it is--and only God could see the incredible value of that life??

    ReplyDelete
  2. "modified some tube socks." :)

    its cool how we don't deserve any of it and get it plus more anyway.

    ReplyDelete